Menu 
 
 
 
A Fine London Regulator Clock by Charles Cummins

H: 71 in / 182 cm  |  W: 15 in / 38 cm  |  D: 10 in / 26 cm

Description

A Fine London Regulator Clock by Charles Cummins of Leadenhall Street, London

The case constructed in well figured San Domingo Mahogany, which has acquired a particularly fine colour and patination: rising from block feet, the plinth having a recessed shaped panel the trunk with a glazed arched panel, and above, a double waisted section, boldly carved with an eagle looking to dexter, with wings outstretched, flanked by swags of foliates and berries; the drum head hood with a glazed circular panel exposing the circular dial, with minutes in Arabic numeration to the periphery, with the hours and minutes in superimposed subsidiary dials in Roman numbering. The movement is weight driven wound through the right hand side of the hood, via a ‘clutch’ device, designed to eliminate frictional effect, which Cummins devised as an improvement to Ellicott’s compensation system, originally invented in 1752. The pendulum is of bi-metallic type, which works in conjunction with a set of levers designed to negate temperate variance, to assist in the accuracy of the timekeeping, mounted on an ‘A’ frame secured to the backboard, and signed ‘Cummins Inventit et Fecit’. The dial is signed C.Cummins of 148 Leadenhall Street, London. Circa 1850.

Literature

Reference ‘ Britten’s Old Clocks and Watches’ ninth edition lists Cummins at 148 Leadenhall Street between 1840-1856; apprenticed as a clockmaker to his father Thomas Cummins in 1832, and notes him as a maker of chronometers and watches of exceptional quality.

REF No. 6970

Recently viewed