Menu 
 
 
 
A Very Fine Pair of Library Cabinets of the late Georgian Period

H: 59 in / 150 cm  |  W: 36 in / 92 cm  |  D: 22 in / 56 cm

Description

Constructed using Cuban mahogany of the finest quality and marking, that has acquired a truly magnificent colour and patination; rising from plinth bases, each having a single door, housing trellis brass work, with separately cast petals at the interstices; the doors having carved wood knob handles mirroring the brass petals; the interiors are shelved, and framed within Ionic type columns issuing from ring turned bases, and adorned with leaf dressed capitols; the cabinets are a true pair, opening from the left and right, The platforms have three quarter galleries, with an ogee rail supported with turned spindles.
Circa 1835

Provenance

The combination of a restrained and elegant design, whilst using timber of the finest quality and colour would suggest these pieces were made by cabinet makers of the first rank, and Gillows of Lancaster or T & G Seddon of London have been suggested as the possible makers.

REF No. 7516

Recently viewed