Menu 
 
 
 
An Important Side Cabinet by Henry Dasson, dated 1884 Henry Dasson (1825 - 1896)

H: 47 in / 119.5 cm  |  W: 63.5 in / 161 cm   |  D: 18 in / 45 cm

Description

Constructed in amboyna and mahogany, with boxwood and ebony stringing, dressed with fine ormolu mounts. Rising from tapering and bronze collared toupie feet the breakfront rectangular form having everted radiused corners, which issue stepped and fluted bronze mounted columns, with capitols of torsade form; the door has a lacquered fete galante framed within a pearl decorated bronze frame, enclosing a shelved interior; the frieze has a running rinceaux band, capped by a bronze frame housing the Rouge de Languedoc marble top. Stamped twice by the maker, Henry Dasson, and dated 1884.

The Dasson Cabinet from Butchoff Antiques on Vimeo.

Provenance

Henry Dasson (1825-1896) established at 106 Rue Vielle du-Temple, was one of the most celebrated Parisien bronzier ebenists. His work is renowned for the fine quality of the metalwork, utilising the designs of the ancien regime, and adapting them to conform with the needs of the times. He participated at the Expositions Universelles in 1878 and 1889 and examples of his work were purchased by the English Royal Family.

Biography

Established at 106 Rue Vielle du-Temple, Dasson was one of the most highly celebrated Parisien bronzier ébénistes. His work is renowned for the fine quality of the metalwork, utilising the designs of the ancien régime, and adapting them to conform to the needs of the times. He participated at the Expositions Universelle in 1878, receiving the laudatory critique of Louis Gonse, the Parisian arbiter of bon ton and quality, ‘nouveau venu dans le carrière industrielle Henry Dasson, s’est rapidement créé par la perfection de ces oeuvres une très haute situation a laquelle nous applaudisons chaleureusement’, at which he exhibited a bureau in the Louis XVI manner decorated with Japanese panels; and 1889, he was awarded the ‘Grand Prix Artistique, and examples of his work were purchased by the English Royal Family. Made a chevalier of the Légion d’honneur in 1883, he was elevated to an officier in 1889, following his success at the Paris Exposition of the same year.

REF No. 7633

Recently viewed