Menu 
 
 
 
A Very Fine Centre Table Stamped for James Winter & Sons, Wardour Street, London James Winter & Sons (1823 - 1870)

H: 30 in / 76.5 cm  |  Dia: 53 in / 135 cm

Description

Of octagonal form: constructed in a finely marked Circassian Walnut, carved, and with arabesque inlays in primarily Ebony, and specimen woods; the tripartite platform base shod with castors, the knurled toes scroll carved, and dressed with bosses, with carved arabesques and elliptical lozenges to the upper part; the swept bulbous column having foliate inlays within cartouches; the top having a tilting action, richly, precisely and extensively inlaid with foliate form, within a guard band, and having a central circular medallion. Stamped to the top platform, ‘James Winter & Sons, Wardour Street, Soho, London’. Circa 1830

Provenance

James Winter and Sons
The business commenced at 101 Wardour Street in 1823, and, after 1840, moving to 151/153/155 Wardour Street. The ‘James Winter’ label describes themselves as ‘Brokers, Appraisers & Undertakers, Dealer in Second Hand Household Furniture’. A trade card, recently found, notes ‘A Liberal Price for Second Hand Furniture in Large or Small Quantities’. They offered the service ‘Rents Collected & Legally Recovered’. Much of the furniture stamped by the company is of the very highest quality. (c.f. Marked London Furniture 1700-1840’ by Christopher Gilbert, published by the Furniture History Society). The company closed in 1870.

Biography

The business commenced at 101 Wardour Street in 1823, and, after 1840, moving to 151/153/155 Wardour Street. The ‘James Winter’ label describes themselves as ‘Brokers, Appraisers & Undertakers, Dealer in Second Hand Household Furniture’. A trade card, recently found, notes ‘A Liberal Price for Second Hand Furniture in Large or Small Quantities’. They offered the service ‘Rents Collected & Legally Recovered’. Much of the furniture stamped by the company is of the very highest quality. (c.f. Marked London Furniture 1700-1840’ by Christopher Gilbert, published by the Furniture History Society). The company closed in 1870.

REF No. 7762

Recently viewed