Menu 
 
 
 
Magnificent Oak Partner’s Desk made in the Gothic Manner

H: 31 in / 79 cm  |  W: 99 in / 251 cm  |  D: 48.5 in / 123 cm

Description

Constructed in a finely patinated oak; rising from a plinth base, the canted corner pedestals having lockable blind doors, carved with lancet arcades, each enclosing four drawers; the running lancet pattern repeats on the ends, and through the kneehole, which is braced with swept foliate Gothic spandrels; three lockable drawers to each side; the inverted shaped writing surface having bold thumbnail mouldings, and fitted with a tooled leather writing surface. Circa 1850

Provenance

Provenance
This magnificent desk was used by Arthur Watts in his office at Watts of Lydney. Founded in 1851, the business started as a general store and bakery. David’s son Josiah borrowed £300 from an uncle and added a small ironmongery shop to the business. With the ironmongery needs of Lydney's busy docks, railway and tin plate works and through the entrepreneurial skills of Josiah and his wife Clara, the business grew, and by 1905 their son Arthur, and later, John joined the business. Building on success, a Ford Motor Dealership was also added to the business in 1912 and in 1919 Watts opened Lydney's first garage. Both Arthur and John served in First World War and on their return to Lydney, Arthur converted, repaired and sold surplus war vehicles and Watts grew through the 20th and into the 21st Century and today its interests include a large commercial property portfolio, Polyurethane & Ultrathane manufacturing, and a large truck dealership.

Literature

A.W.N. Pugin’s endorsement of the Gothic Style, and his books of designs, including ‘Ornament of the 15th & 16th Centuries’ along with the designs of Sir Charles Barry for the new Houses of Parliament informed a generation of the ‘Gothic Revival’.

REF No. 7723

Recently viewed