Menu 
 
 
 
A Very Fine and Substantial Centre Table In the Louis XVIth Manner of Holland & Sons Holland & Sons

H: 30 in / 76.5 cm  |  W: 60 in / 152.5 cm |   D: 32 in / 81.5 cm

Description

Of exceptional quality, utilising beautifully grained woods, including Circassian walnut, thuya, purple heart and boxwood in the construction, and adorned with very finely cast, planished and gilded ormolu mounts; rising on four tapering turned and inlaid porcelain castor shod legs, conjoined by a shaped and stepped ‘X’ form stretcher, with a central vase stand, inlaid with a circular patera; the symmetrical shaped serpentine cross banded and inlaid top, richly dressed with ormolu running pearl banding and to the edges, a stylised ormolu gadroon; the apron housing two drawers, lined with quadrant mouldings.
Circa 1850

Provenance

Provenance; Whitbourne Hall, Worcester

Family tradition believes the table was supplied by the London decorators, Cowtan & Company, who were absorbed into Colefax & Fowler in the 1970s.

Biography

Originally founded in 1803 by Stephen Taprell and William Holland, a relation of the architect Henry Holland, the firm of Holland & Sons soon became one of the largest and most successful furniture making companies in the 19th Century. The firm worked extensively for the Royal Family, being granted the Royal Warrant early in the reign of Queen Victoria, hence taking a leading part in the decoration and furnishing of Osborne House, Sandringham, Balmoral, Windsor Castle and the apartments of the Prince and Princess of Wales at Marlborough House. Holland and Sons also worked extensively for the British Government, for whom they executed over three hundred separate commissions, including the Palace of Westminster, the Victoria and Albert Museum, and oversaw the State funeral of the Duke of Wellington. Among their private commissions the firm produced a celebrated suite of bedroom furniture for the late Sir Harold Wernher at Luton Hoo.

Always at the forefront of fashion, Holland & Sons employed some of England’s leading designers and participated in all of the International Exhibitions of 1851, 1855, 1862, 1867, 1872 and 1878.

REF No. 7874

Recently viewed