Menu 
 
 
 
A Cabinet Bookcase By Morant & Co, London George Morant ( - 1846)

H: 42 in / 107 cm  |  W: 43 in / 108.5 cm  |  D: 15.5 in / 39 cm

Description

Constructed in West Indian satinwood, and dressed with mahogany, crossbanding, having boxwood line inlays, and marquetry work of excellent quality; rising from turned, tapering and fluted feet, the single glazed lockable door opening to reveal two adjustable shelves, and a splendid satinwood interior; the flanking sides inlaid with pendant bellflowers; the cartouche ellipses to the sides inlaid with Adam style urns, after the original drawings by Pergolesi; the frieze having a centrally placed urn, flanked by addorsed griffins, and inlaid foliate arabesques; the platform being inlaid with a broad reserve band of conjoined bellflowers, inlaid using specimen woods, and, framed with line inlay and barbers pole stringing. Labeled to the reverse (top left) ‘Morant & Co, 91 New Bond Street 145/33’.
Circa 1890

Biography

‘The Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840’, published by the Furniture History Society informs that Morant Snr. was a maker of carved and gilded frames from early in the reign of George 1Vth, and his trade card describes the company as ‘Ornamental Painter & Paper Hanging Manufacturer to their Royal Highnesses’. Work was executed for Sir Thomas Lawrence, Sir Robert Peel, the Dukes of Sussex, Cambridge and Sutherland, inter alia. The company exhibited in the Great Exhibition of 1851, the New York International Exhibition of 1853, and the London International Exhibition of 1862. ‘Masterpieces of Industrial Art & Sculpture, edited by J.B.Waring, published in 1862 illustrates a wonderful sideboard made for Lord Ellesmere, that was shown at this exhibition. A Royal Warrant was granted in 1840, by Queen Victoria. Throughout the Nineteenth Century, they were recognised as one of England’s most eminent cabinet makers.

REF No. 8249

Recently viewed