Menu 
 
 
 
A Louis XVI Centre Writing Table in the Aesthetic Taste, Firmly Attributed to Holland & Son Holland & Sons

H: 29 in / 74 cm  |  W: 44 in / 112 cm  |  D: 23 in / 58.5 cm

Description

Of free standing bow ended rectangular form, constructed in coromandel, with specimen wood and ivory inlays, dressed with gilt bronze accents; rising from toupie feet, having a swept inlaid stretcher conjoining the tapered cannelure grooved legs, inset with pendant gilt bronze bellflowers, having gilt paterae to the capitols; two lockable drawers, with mahogany linings and quadrant mouldings to one side, with faux drawers to the obverse; having a particularly fine gilt tooled leather writing surface.
Circa 1875

Biography

Originally founded in 1803 by Stephen Taprell and William Holland, a relation of the architect Henry Holland, the firm of Holland & Sons soon became one of the largest and most successful furniture making companies in the 19th Century. The firm worked extensively for the Royal Family, being granted the Royal Warrant early in the reign of Queen Victoria, hence taking a leading part in the decoration and furnishing of Osborne House, Sandringham, Balmoral, Windsor Castle and the apartments of the Prince and Princess of Wales at Marlborough House. Holland and Sons also worked extensively for the British Government, for whom they executed over three hundred separate commissions, including the Palace of Westminster, the Victoria and Albert Museum, and oversaw the State funeral of the Duke of Wellington. Among their private commissions the firm produced a celebrated suite of bedroom furniture for the late Sir Harold Wernher at Luton Hoo.

Always at the forefront of fashion, Holland & Sons employed some of England’s leading designers and participated in all of the International Exhibitions of 1851, 1855, 1862, 1867, 1872 and 1878.

REF No. 8627

Recently viewed