H: 27 in / 68 cm | W: 22 in / 56.5 cm | D: 16 in / 40 cmDescription
Freestanding, and constructed in tulipwood, with amaranth and kingwood strappings and crossbandings, with excellent marquetry inlay work in other specimen woods, and adorned with gilt bronze mounts. Rising from foliate sabot shod cabriole legs supporting a shaped top, with guard straps to the edges, housing a strapwork inlaid frame enclosing a detailed bouquet of flowers; the frieze incorporating a single drawer, and inlaid with kingwood guilloches. Signed ‘Blake’ to the reverse of one of the mounts.
The Dictionary of English Furniture published by the Furniture History Society, published 1986, lists Robert Blake at 8 Stephen Street, Tottenham Court Road in 1820 and later of 130 Mount Street Berkley Square, was a noted marquetrier and buhl inlayer and supplied many items which were retailed by Edward Holmes Baldock (1777-1845).
By 1843 the premises housed he and his four sons, Charles (b1814), Henry, George and James. By 1860, only Charles was at the address, until his death in 1879. Edward Holmes Baldock (1777-1845) one of the ‘leading antique and ornamental furniture dealers’ (as stated on his trade card) was in nearby Hanway Street, and is known to have employed the Blakes, as their very distinctive marquetry work was of the of the highest quality and delicacy. A pair of commodes were made by Blake (now in the Frick Collection, having been sold by Lord Duveen of Millbank in 1916) copying the Andre-Charles Buhl originals made for Louis XIV’s Trianon.
You may also like
A Fine Pair of Marquetry Side Cabinets
A Pair of Monumental Vases on Pedestals in the Neo-Renaissance Manner
An Exceptional Cut Glass Chandelier Firmly Attributed to F & C Osler F&C Osler
A French Revolving Library Bookcase
Pair of Sixteen Light Ormolu Chandeliers in the Gothic Manner
A Games Compendium by Betjeman of London