Menu 
 
 
 
A Fine Quality Centre Table Firmly Attributed to Maple & Co Maples & Co (1841 - )

H: 30 in / 76 cm   |  Dia: 35.5 in / 90 cm

Description

Constructed in very finely figured mahogany and satinwood, and having excellently executed marquetry inlays; turned and tapering castor shod legs, conjoined with entrelac stretchers support the circular top; a central reserve houses a marquetry figure of Minerva, the goddess emblematic of wisdom, music and poetry, and sacred to Athens, set within an anthemion adorned guard band, itself radiating twelve issuances to the wider world; the outer guard band set with a running Vitruvian wave scroll. Circa 1890

Biography

Founded in 1841 by John Maple, manufacturing and retailing from the hub of the furniture centre in London’s Tottenham Court Road, and through the founder & his son’s drive and excellence of the products of the company, expanded greatly, to have further workshops and points of sale in both Paris and Buenos Aires, and later, a shop in Smyrna. Clientele included Queen Victoria, King Edward V11th, members of the Royal Household, the King of Siam, and the Nicholas, Tsar of Russia. Later, Maples would furnish the Royal yachts, the QE1, QE2 and the Queen Mary, as well as hotels in Nice, London, Paris and Siam.

REF No. 8738

Recently viewed