H: 29 in / 74 cm | W: 56.5 in / 143 cm | D: 30.5 in / 77 cmDescription
Of free standing, bow ended rectangular form, constructed in amboyna, with gilt highlights, and specimen wood foliate inlays, dressed with gilt highlights; the slab end supports with scrolled feet, flanked by turned, tapering and reeded columns have a conjoining shaped stretcher, issuing from a distended central boss capped with an elliptical carved ornament; two drawers in the frieze, with faux drawers to the obverse. Stamped to the underside ‘Johnstone, Jeanes & Co, 67 New Bond Street 10851.
Johnstone, Jeanes & Co
John Johnstone of Bond Street came to prominence after his collaboration with Robert Jupe, an ‘upholder’ of 47 Welbeck Street, Cavendish Square, London, who patented a remarkable design for a circular expanding dining table with a segmented top in 1835. After Jupe’s death, the firm traded as ‘Johnstone and Jeanes’ from 1842 until 1880, continuing the tradition of producing high quality furniture. Both the Royal Collection Trust and the Victoria & Albert Museum own stamped pieces of furniture in its’ collections.
The firm later became ‘Johnstone & Norman’, trading until the early years of the twentieth century.
You may also like
A Splendid Pair of Console Tables From Shrublands Park, Coddenham, Suffolk George Morant
An Elegant Regency Period Chaise Longue
A Pair of Georgian Side Cupboards
An Important Mahogany Library Bookcase Firmly Attributed to Gillows Gillows
Regency Table Firmly Attributed to Gillow with Provenance to the Marchioness Dowager of Bath Gillow
A Pair of Giltwood Mirrors in the George III Style